Stratis Gayner Plastic Surgery
10 Capital Drive #100
Harrisburg, PA 17110
Phone: (717) 728-1700
Tuesday, Thursday: 8 a.m.–4 p.m.
Wednesday: 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m.–3 p.m.
Phones are open 8 a.m.-5 p.m. every day
Women who come to our Harrisburg practice from York and Lancaster, PA, practice for breast augmentation want fuller, more feminine breasts to boost their self-confidence. If you’ve been considering breast enhancement surgery to increase the size of your breasts or to improve their shape, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. John Stratis specializes in cosmetic breast surgery. He takes pride in creating beautiful, natural-looking results that exceed his patients’ expectations.
Before & After Photos
This feature contains nudity. Please click OK to confirm you are at least 18 years of age and are not offended by such material.OK
Before & After Photos
Keep in mind that each patient is unique and your results may vary.
Keep in mind that each patient is unique and your results may vary.
Why Choose Breast Augmentation?
Women choose to get breast implants for various personal reasons, such as:
- Filling out naturally small breasts
- Restoring breasts to the size they were before weight loss or breastfeeding
- Balancing uneven breasts
- Enhancing cleavage
- Improving appearance and confidence in a variety of clothing
Breast Implant Options
During your consultation, Dr. Stratis helps you understand what to expect during breast augmentation surgery. He will use VECTRA® 3D Imaging and the Mentor Implant Sizers to visually simulate your possible results from breast augmentation surgery with your chosen implant to ensure he understands the size and shape desired.
Your decisions about the type (cohesive silicone gel or saline implants), style, and size of implants will be pivotal to your breast augmentation. For these reasons it is important to choose a surgeon with extensive breast augmentation experience to help you make these very important decisions. Dr. Stratis will take the time to understand your goals and desired outcome so that, together, you can determine which implant is right for you.
SILICONE IMPLANT ADVANTAGES
Silicone implants have been used in breast augmentation for years and the latest generation of silicone gel implants look and feel more like natural breasts than ever before. For many, just one look and feel of silicone implants versus saline implants convinces them that silicone will produce better results for their breast augmentation. That’s why the majority of patients choose silicone gel breast implants at our Harrisburg practice. There is also generally less rippling than with saline implants.
Today, silicone implants have extensive oversight from the FDA and are only approved for breast augmentation in women over 22. It is recommended that all patients with silicone implants have an MRI scan 3 years after breast augmentation, and every 2 years thereafter. If an implant cracks or ruptures, it should be replaced.
SALINE IMPLANT ADVANTAGES
All breast implants have the potential to eventually leak. When a saline implant leaks, your body harmlessly absorbs the leaked salt water. The patient will also likely recognize the leak right away, as the breast will shrink. When a silicone implant leaks, however, the patient may not be able to tell. Although most silicone leaks pose no problems, some women can get small areas of inflammation called granulomas. These may present with pain or a mass.
Replacing a silicone implant is more difficult than removing a saline one. Dr. Stratis can simply slip out the leaky saline implant through the original incision that was made during your breast augmentation surgery, after which he can replace the implant with a new one. But a silicone implant needs to be removed along with the scar tissue around it to remove all the leaked silicone. This takes a larger incision and more surgery.
How Do I Choose the Right Size Breast Implant?
Dr. Stratis suggests you do the following to help you choose your breast implant size:
- Showing him pictures of women with breast proportions you admire (such as in his online photo gallery)
- Trying on implant sizers in his office
- Using the VECTRA 3D imaging system to explore different implant sizes
These and his years of experience with breast augmentation procedures make it easy for Dr. Stratis to determine what size, shape, and style of implant can best achieve your specific goals.
Which Incision Is Best for Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation incision options include (see illustration):
- Around the nipple/areola
- In the crease below the breast
- In the armpit
Your choice of implants will dictate the best incision options for you; this decision also involves your personal preference.
- Saline implants require a very small incision because they are rolled up, inserted under the breast, then filled for breast augmentation; therefore, they can be placed through any of the above incision types.
- Silicone implants are prefilled prior to the breast augmentation surgery, so they are best placed through an incision under the breast or below the nipple.
Breast augmentation patients who want to breastfeed in the future should avoid a nipple incision. An armpit incision is concealed and avoids having incisions on the breasts. Dr. Stratis will listen to your priorities before recommending a suitable option.
Is It Better to Get Breast Implants Over or Under the Muscle?
The best implant placement depends on your personal anatomy, preferences, and choice of implant. Dr. Stratis will recommend one of the following placements for you:
- Below the chest muscle is the most common location and is the best choice for most women because it provides natural-looking results even if the patient has thin skin, minimal breast tissue, or low body fat. For this placement, Dr. Stratis carefully creates a space beneath the breast tissue and chest muscle for the implant.
- On top of the chest muscle is best for breast augmentation patients who have enough of their own breast tissue, and those who choose silicone implants. Recovery is usually quicker and more comfortable because the chest muscle is not lifted or stretched.
What Our Patients Are Saying
"I had a wonderful experience at Stratis Gayner and would recommend them to anyone. I loved that the staff was friendly and made me feel comfortable in an awkward situation. I called several times with questions and never felt like I was bothering anyone. And best of all, I have an excellent result that is very natural. Thanks a bunch."
Breast Augmentation Recovery and Results
Although your breasts temporarily swell after surgery, you will see right away that your breasts are larger and fuller. Women who aren’t prepared for this are sometimes shocked and express concern that maybe their breasts are “too big.” However, Dr. Stratis has found that after the swelling subsides and the implants settle into place, most women are extremely happy with the choices they have made. Your breasts may feel tender for a few weeks, although this can be easily controlled with pain medication. For some time after surgery you will wear a supportive bra to protect your results and minimize discomfort. You can likely resume full physical activity after about 3 weeks.
The Stratis Gayner team carefully follows your progress for about 3 months after your breast augmentation surgery.
In terms of scarring, how noticeable any scars are will depend on the type of incision used. Dr. Stratis typically uses one of three incision patterns that leave well-concealed scars after breast augmentation is completed. Which one he chooses depends primarily on the type of implant and the woman’s body type and personal preference. If the incision is made under your breast the scar will be hidden within the breast crease. If the breast augmentation incision is made in your armpit the scar will be concealed and not on the breast itself. In some cases, the incision is made on the areolar border which produces an almost undetectable scar, particularly as it fades over time.
Dr. Stratis often combines breast augmentation with other procedures to help women attain multiple improvements within a single recovery period. Popular combinations include:
- Breast lift and augmentation to increase breast size while improving breast shape. Women who want fuller breasts and are bothered by sagging attain even more satisfying results with this combination.
- Mommy Makeover surgery to help women renew their bodies after pregnancy and breastfeeding. Dr. Stratis can combine breast augmentation with a tummy tuck and liposuction. If you are interested in a facelift as part of your Mommy Makeover, board-certified facial plastic surgeon Dr. Scott Gayner, Dr. Stratis’ partner, will perform consultations and surgery with Dr. Stratis.
Dr. Stratis is a body-focused plastic surgeon with years of experience performing breast augmentation procedures for women from Harrisburg, Reading, and Lancaster, PA, and other surrounding communities. To learn more about breast augmentation options, send an online message to request a consultation with Dr. Stratis or call his office at (717) 728-1700.